For those unfamiliar with this fascinating process: blocking turns meh-wrinkly-omgthisistiny! items into Nice Things. These 100% wool blocks are first dunked in tepid water (with special woolcare soap) for at least 30 mins so that they are completely and utterly soaked. Then I squeeze them between some towels to get most of the water out. And then I get the nifty blocking set out: some metal wires, some nasty pins, a yardstick and my superduper professional foam puzzle bits. Yay me.
| Wet wool on towel looks kinda ugly it seems ^^ |
By (gently) stretching the block I went from 43x47 cm to 51x56 cm (aka 17x18 inches to 20x22 inches). I left it there to dry for a long long time (took it off after 48 hours O.o ). And was very happy with my larger and completely flattened block (and it stays that way, because it's well, blocked). Took some pics to compare with the still unblocked Arryn block. Huge difference.
Am now working on the Martell block. Which is ORANGE. Seriously. This colourway is definitely orange. It's kinda funny that I am knitting this right when the entire country is all mad with the last Queen's Day the abdication of Queen Beatrix and the coronation of King Willem-Alexander. There's orange everythings . So we couldn't stay behind with our orange blanket block. Many thanks to your votes and to the house colours of Martell. Grin.
If all goes well, I should finish the knitting pretty soon and then I'll get going with the duplicate stitching. If things go exceptionally well, I might even get decently far into working on the fourth block. We'll see...
| Actually it's more orange than this O.o |
No comments:
Post a Comment